The only person with this surname in my tree is my 9th great-grandmother Joan (or Johanna) ANTROM (c. 1590-?)
Joan was my 9th great-grandmother.
Joan ANTROM was born about 1590, probably in Frome, Somerset, England. There are two possible burial entries for Joan – one in 1625 and the other in 1639. She married Thomas WIMPEWE 11 July 1615 in Frome, Somerset, England1. Thomas WIMPEY* was christened 19 April 1579 in Frome, Somerset, England. His date of burial is now yet known.
When I first started researching my family history, I was given a family history which listed her as Johanna ANTON. The International Genealogical Index lists her as Johanna ANTRON2
There was no listing for a Joan or Johanna ANTRON, ANTROM or ANTON found at the FromeResearch.org.uk site (or on FreeReg) in Frome, however, there is an entry for Joan ANDROS, christened 10 Aug 1572. It is not certain this is the right baptism entry, as this would have made Joan 37 years old at the time of her marriage. There is also a baptism of a Johan Antrom on 11 Oct 1571 at Milborne Port in Somerset. But this Johan would have been 38 at the time of the marriage, and Milborne Port is quite a distance away from Frome. Since records for this period of time, particularly for females, are scarce, finding Joan/Johanna’s correct name and baptism record may not be possible.
In searching for the surname Antrom, using soundex, for Frome in Somerset, there are no entries at all for the surname Antrom (or Antron), but there are a number of entries for Andros, Androwes, and other variants in the 1500, and 1600s, and later the surname Andrews. Her surname may therefore have been Andrews.
My ancestral line is
1. Lois V. Whimpey
2. Ivon Walter Whimpey (1923-2009)
3. Edith Jean Marr (1922-1990)
4. John Ernest Whimpey (1884-1960)
5. Ivy May Harley (1890-1959)
8. Joseph Whimpey (1848-1919)
9. Sarah Jane Sharp (1853-1906)
16. Joseph Whimpey (1819-1902)
17. Margaret Price (1816-1901)
32. William Whimpey* (1789-1870)
33. Elizabeth Clement(s) (1792-1860)
64. Joseph Wimpey* (1761-1790)
65. Rebekah Dredge (1760-1844)
128. John Wimpey* (1710-1780)
129. Susanna Curtis (1720-1794)
256. Thomas Wimpey* (1678-1726)
257. Elizabeth Bigwood (1680-?)
512. Nicholas Wimpey* (1650-1721)
513. Ann (surname unknown) (1650-1710)
1024. Thomas Wimpey* (1620-1674)
1025. Fortune Draper (1620-?)
2048. Thomas Wimpey* (1579-?)
2049. Joan ANTROM
* Since arriving in Australia, my family has consistently used the spelling Whimpey, however, prior to this, the surname has been recorded in a number of different ways – Wimpey, Wimpew, Wimpewe, Wympie, Wympew, to name a few.
1. Family & Local History in Frome, David Smart online [http://www.fromeresearch.org.uk/], accessed 13 December 2007.
2. “International Genealogical Index (IGI),” database,FamilySearch(https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:1:MH4S-Q9V : accessed 2015-05-23), entry for Thomas Wimpey.