Sunday afternoon Genealogy Fun

Sunday afternoon genealogy fun – Your Best Research Find in May 2015

Each week on Randy Seaver’s Genea-musings blog he has a post for Saturday night Genealogy fun.  Because of the time difference, I have called my series Sunday Afternoon Genealogy Fun.

This week’s mission was:

What was your best genealogy research “find” in May 2015?  It could be a record, it could be a photograph, etc. Whatever you judge to be your “best.”

My best research find this week was a newspaper article about my great grandfather, Joseph Whimpey.  Joseph was born 10 January 1848 at Mount Barker in South Australia.  He died 13 July 1919 at Tarnagulla.

Joseph Whimpey accident
“FATALITIES AND ACCIDENTS,” Bendigo Advertiser (Vic: 1855-1918), 19 January 1911, p. 5, col. 4; viewed 27 May 2015,




When the Tarnagulla mail coach arrived at the Bendigo Post Office yesterday morning the horse bolted with the result that the driver Mr. Joseph Whimpey of Tarnagulla, was seriously injured. Mr. Whimpey left his horse and vehicle at the side of the post office while he carried the mails inside and during his absence the horse became startled by the approach of a vehicle utilised by the letter-pillar clearers. Mr. Whimpey’s horse bolted into the lane at the rear of the post office, and made for the Law Courts yard. Mr. Whimpey heard the unusual noise, and rushed down the post office steps just as the horse arrived in the lane. He grasped the animal by the head, but was unable to bring it to a standstill. The horse by this time had developed a good rate of speed, and Mr. Whimpey was carried along with it. Presently he lost his footing, and fell on the granite pavement, and the wheels of the heavy vehicle passed over his head and left arm. The horse endeavoured to get through the single gate-way near the lockup, but the vehicle being too wide a violet collision occurred, and the animal was thrown to the asphalt footpath. It was then captured. In the meantime Mr. Whimpey had been picked up, and it was only after much persuasion that he could be induced to seek medical aid. Constable Burke took the mail driver to the Bendigo Hospital, where it was found that his left arm was broken, and that he was also suffering from abrasions about the head. The mail coach and harness were considerably damaged. Subsequently the postal officials despatched the mail to Tarnagulla by one of the Bendigo post office employes, Mr. W. Seckold. Mr. Whimpey was driven to his home.