The first person in my family tree with this surname is my 3xgreat grandmother Susannah Campkin.
Susannah was born 14 May 1827 and baptised 15 June 1827 in Melbourn, Cambridgeshire, England. She was the daughter of Stephen Campkin and Rebecca Pewter. She married Frederick Oliver on 2 July 1846 in Melbourn, Cambridgeshire, England, and in 1849 they migrated to Australia with their two sons, George and Ralph. They had 3 more children in Australia before Frederick died in 1855. Susannah then married William Stephens between 1855 and 1858 (their marriage record has not yet been found), and she had another 9 children. Susannah died 29 March 1880 in Richmond, in the colony of Victoria, Australia.
Stephen was born 10 April 1795 and baptised 24 May 1795 in Bassingbourn, Cambridgeshire, England. He was the son of Samuel Campkin and Rosamund (Rose) Phebe. He married Rebecca Pewter on 28 March 1814 in Melbourn, Cambridgeshire, England, and they had 10 children:
- Emma 1814-1815
- George 1815-1892. George married Elizabeth Bell and they had 11 children
- Emma 1818-1905. Emma married Benjamn Farrow
- Ambrose 1820-1830
- Isaac 1823-1856
- Josiah 1825-1880. Josiah married Alice Wilding Thirgoe and they had 6 children. After Alice died he married Rebecca Shaw
- Susannah 1827-1880. Her details have already been covered.
- Liversay Ann 1830-1832
- Liversay Ann 1832-1844
- Samuel 1834-1873. At this stage I don’t have a lot of information about Samuel. He married a lady called Elizabeth, and they had one son.
Stephen died 22 November 1869 in Thetford, Norfolk, England.
Samuel married Rose (Rosamond) Phebe on 5 May 1783 in Bassingbourn. On the marriage record his surname was listed as Thampkin. Samuel and Rosamund had 5 children:
- Phebe 1788-1853. Phebe married John Norman.
- Kitty Phebe 1789-1791
- Stoughton Phebe 1792-1873. Stoughton married Rebecca Burton and they had 8 children.
- Edith 1795-1796
- Stephen 1795-1869. His details have already been covered.
Samuel was buried 1 May 1841 in Melbourn, Cambridgeshire, at the age of 82 years.
I have not been able to find a baptism record that matches Samuel – there is a baptism in 1785 in Bassingbourn, but this is after his marriage date, so this is unlikely to be for my Samuel. There is another one in 1781 in Melbourn, but this also appears to be unlikely to be for my Samuel, since he was in Bassingbourn in 1783. A number of online trees show that he was born 11 October 1765 in Bassingbourn, but none of these provide a source for this information, and I have been unable to find any record to verify this information. The online trees that provide this birth date also don’t provide the names of his parents. I have therefore not been able to go any further back on this line, at this stage.