Each week on Randy Seaver’s Genea-musings blog he has a post for Saturday night Genealogy fun. Because of the time difference, I have called my series Sunday Afternoon Genealogy Fun. This week the mission was:
1) Who is one of your relatives (ancestor or not) who behaved poorly during his or her life? It can be any time period.
2) Tell us about it in your own blog post, in a comment on tjhisp ost, or in a comment on Facebook or Google+.
In deciding who to use for this, I decided to have a look on Trove, to find any newspaper accounts of a relative who behaved poorly, and I decided to use my maiden name, Whimpey, as it is an uncommon surname. I was intending to use one of my Australian relatives, since this website is primarily for newspapers, books etc. from Australia, but found instead a record from Utah, for Howard Whimpey.
Howard Franklin Whimpey was born 13 December 1914 in Lehi, Utah, Utah, United States. He was the son of John Newbern Whimpey and Irene Peterson. Howard died 22 March 1983 in Oxnard, Ventura, California, United States. (John Newbern Whimpey was a grandson of Isaac Whimpey 1827-1912. I’m descended from Isaac’s brother Joseph Whimpey 1819-1902).
The record I found was Utah State Board of Pardons Application for Termination or Parole
This record shows:
Date: August 5, 1943
I hereby apply to your Honourable Body for a TERMINATION and respectfully represent as follows:
My correct name is Howard Whimpey No 7522
I am serving under the name of Howard Whimpey
I was born 13th day December month 1914 year At Lehi, Utah
Name of parents Mr. & Mrs. J. N. Whimpey
Address of parents 589 North 2nd East – Lehi, Utah
I was sentenced to the Utah State Prison on May 8, 1943
If now on parole give date of release to Parole Dept
My offence was Issuing a fraudulent check and Failure to provide
I was sentenced by Judge Abe W. Turner of the 3rd Judicial
District Court of Utah County for a term of 0 to 14 years – check
0 to 18 months – Failure to Provide
I was prosecuted by William Stanley Dunford District Attorney
I was arrested by Utah County Sheriff Arresting Officer
I pleaded Guilty
The names of my co-defendants were None
My occupation was Cat Skinner
Name and address of persons who will assist in obtaining employment:
Utah Copper Company – Bingham
Name and address of persons who will appear before the Board of Pardons meeting:
Wife, Mrs. Howard Whimpey, Lehi, Utah
Father, Mr. J. N. Whimpey, Lehi, Utah
Have you appeared before the Board of Pardons? No
If granted favorable action by the Board I will make my home at
Lehi City Utah State
Applicant Howard Whimpey
Present address Utah State Prison
Howard appears on the 1920, 1930 and 1940 Censuses with his parents at Lehi, Utah.
Howard married a number of times:
He first married Utella Smith on 26 November 1937 in Utah1.
He married Jennie Ann Bauman (nee Kirk) on 7 November 1952 in Los Angeles, California2.
A Howard F Whimpey married Mary J Counts/Dorman on 27 December 1972 in Ventura, California3,4
The Utah, Marriage Record Index dataset at Mocavo also has two other marriages:
Howard Franklin Whimpey to Helen Kokinakis on 8 June 1944 in Orem, Utah County, Utah
Howard Whimpey to Stella Bounous on 24 October 1941 in Orem, Utah County, Utah
The U.S. City Directories collection at ancestry shows:
- Howard F Whimpey, 1935, Provo, Utah
- Howard Whimpey spouse Utella Whimpey 1939 Provo, Utah
- Howard F Whimpey spouse Jeannie A Whimpey 1957 Downey, California
- Howard F Whimpey spouse Jeannie Whimpey 1961 Downey, California
- Howard F Whimpey spouse Jean Whimpey 1963 Downey, California
- Howard F Whimpey spouse Jeanne Whimpey 1964 Downey, California
- Howard Whimpey spouse Mary J Whimpey 1974 Oxnard, Ventura, California
- Howard Mary J Whimpey 1977 Oxnard, Ventura, California
- Howard F Mary J Whimpey 1980 Oxnard, Ventura, California
Sources of information
- “Utah, County Marriages, 1887-1937,” ,FamilySearch(https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VRLR-2JV : accessed 16 August 2015), Howard Franklin Whimpey and Utella Smith, 26 Nov 1937; citing Utah, Utah, United States, book , county courthouses, Utah; FHL microfilm 482,952
- “California, County Marriages, 1850-1952,” database with images,FamilySearch(https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K86S-V28 : accessed 16 August 2015), Howard Franklin Whimpey and Jennie Ann Bauman, 07 Nov 1952; citing Los Angeles, California, United States, county courthouses, California; FHL microfilm 1,283,813
- “California Marriage Index, 1960-1985,” ,FamilySearch(https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V6J7-Y5Q : accessed 16 August 2015), Howard F Whimpey and Mary J Counts, 27 Dec 1972; from “California, Marriage Index, 1960-1985,” database and images, Ancestry (http://www.ancestry.com : 2007); citing Ventura, California, Center of Health Statistics, California Department of Health Services, Sacramento.,
- “California Marriage Index, 1960-1985,” ,FamilySearch(https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V6NV-DFQ : accessed 16 August 2015), Howard F Whimpey and Mary J Dorman, 27 Dec 1972; from “California, Marriage Index, 1960-1985,” database and images, Ancestry (http://www.ancestry.com : 2007); citing Ventura, California, Center of Health Statistics, California Department of Health Services, Sacramento.