The first person in my family tree with this surname is Anna Maria Chatterton.
My ancestral line is
1. Lois V. Whimpey
2. Ivon Walter Whimpey (1923-2009)
3. Edith Jean Marr (1922-1990)
4. John Ernest Whimpey (1884-1960)
5. Ivy May Harley (1890-1959)
8. Joseph Whimpey (1848-1919)
9. Sarah Jane Sharp (1853-1906)
18. Henry Sharp (1826-1892)
19. Jane Elizabeth Oldroyd (1828-1902)
36. William Sharp (1795-1866)
37. Sarah Rose Crossley (1804-1868)
72. John Sharp (1770-?)
73. Anna Maria Chatterton (1773-1841). Anna (or Hannah) married John Sharp 29 Jun 1794 at All Saints, Wakefield, Yorkshire, England. They had 7 children, all baptised at All Saints in Wakefield:
- George christened 2 May 1795
- William (my 3x great grandfather) christened 8 March 1797
- Eliza christened 7 Sep 1799
- James christened 6 March 1802
- Charles christened 22 December 1804
- Ann-Maria christened 18 April 1808
- Thomas christened 28 February 1813
There is a christening record for Anna Maria Chatterton on 3 July 1773 at All Saints, Wakefield, which seems to probably be for Anna. Her parents were listed as Thomas and Anna Maria Chatterton. There is a burial record for Anna Maria Sharp on 14 January 1841 in Wakefield, spouse John Sharp, which would also appear to be for our Anna.
144. Thomas Chatterton
145. Anna Maria Harrison, Thomas and Anna were married 9 December 1766 in Warmfield, Yorkshire, England. There is also a marriage entry for them at Wakefield on 7 December 1766.
I have not yet found baptism records for Thomas. I have found a possible baptism entry for Anna Maria Harrison, on 11 October 1735 at All Saints, Wakefield. I have also found a burial that appears to be for Anna. Anna Maria Chatterton, spouse Thomas Chatterton, born 1745, was buried 9 September 1802 at All Saints, Wakefield.
Sources of information:
Most of this information was found in the following 2 collections at ancestry.com.au:
- West Yorkshire, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1512-1812
- England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975 at ancestry.com.au