The surname I was supposed to do this week was Donaldson, but I wrote about my ancestor Janet Donaldson, and her family, in my 52 Ancestors post earlier this week. I have decided therefore to deviate a little from my normal Surname Saturday format, and talk about some additional information I found for her family during the week. Firstly, this is my line back to Janet
1 Lois Whimpey
2 Ivon Walter Whimpey (1923-2009)
3 Edith Jean Marr (1922-1990)
4 John Ernest Whimpey (1884-1960)
5 Ivy May Harley (1890-1959)
10 Alexander Alexander Harley (1866-1939)
11 Henrietta Louisa Russell (1865-1949)
20 Robert Harley (1817-1891)
21 Euphemia Dandie (1824-1902).
42 John Dandie (1800-1841)
43 Catherine Susanna Hardie (1799-1867)
84 John Dandie (1762-1851)
85 Janet Donaldson (1771-1860). Janet was christened 16 June 1771 at Leuchars, Fife, Scotland. She married John Dandie on 22 April 1797 at Logie, Fife, and had 5 children. John died in 1851, and Janet died on 1 May 1860.
Janet was the daughter of Robert Donaldson and Margaret Simpson. They had been married 4 November 1768 in Leuchars, Fife.
I found 6 other children born to Robert and Margaret:
- David christened 4 July 1773 at Kilmany
- Elizabeth christened 25 Jun 1775 at Kilmany
- Robert christened 27 April 1777 at Forgan
- Alexander christened 10 January 1779 at Forgan
- William christened 1 April 1781 at Kilmany
- Hellon christened 27 April 1783 at Kilmany.
I decided to check ancestry for further information for Hellon, and found a Public Member tree that showed that she had married John Dalrymple. I then checked the census records for Helen Dalrymple, born about 1783 in Kilmany, and found Helen on the 1851 census at Ladybank, Collessie, Fife, with her husband, John Dalrymple. Also in the household was sister-in-law Isabella Donaldson, age 611.
On the 1861 census, Helen Dalrymple was a widow, and her sister Isabella Donaldson was still living with her. Isabella was listed as having born in Kilmany, and she was 72 years old. They were still living at Ladybank, Collessie2.
I then went looking for a baptism record for Isabella, as she wasn’t in the list of children I had for Robert and Margaret. I did a search for all the Donaldsons christened in Kilmany between 1768 and 1800, and there was an Isabel Donaldson christened 12 September 1790 at Kilmany, and her parents were listed as Robert Donaldson and Janet Carswel3.
The death certificate for Helen Dalrymple (Helen died 28 September 1875 aged 92 years) confirmed her parents were Robert Donaldson and Margaret Simpson4. I then checked the 1871 census to see if Isabel(la) was still alive. The 1871 census showed Helen Dalrymple widowed age 88, birthplace Kilmany, and Isabella Donaldson, unmarried, age 82, also born in Kilmany. They were still living at Ladybank, Collessie5.
I then checked to see if I could find a death certificate for Isabella, to see if I could confirm who her mother was. I did find her death certificate – Isabella Donaldson, domestic servant, single, died 23 April 1873 at Ladybank Collessie Parish age 86. Her father was Robert Donaldson, ploughman (decd). Unfortunately, where the mother’s name would go there is a question mark. The informant was William Dalrymple6.
There is a marriage on 29 October 1785 at Kilmany for a Robert Donaldson to Janet Cassals. It would appear that Margaret Simpson died between 1783 (when Helen was born), and 1785, and that Robert remarried. There is also a baptism for a John Donaldson on 7 October 1787 at Kilmany, with the parents Robert Donaldson and Janet Carvel.
Sources of information:
- ancestry.com, “1851 Scotland Census,” database, ancestry.com, ancestry.com.au(http://home.ancestry.com.au/ : accessed 21 Oct 2015), entry for Helen Dalrymple, age 67, Ladybank, Collessie, Fife; Parish: Collessie; ED: 4; Page: 5; Line: 19; Roll: CSSCT1851_86; Year: 1851.
- ancestry.com, “1861 Scotland Census,” database, ancestry.com, ancestry.com.au(http://www.ancestry.com.au/ : accessed 21 Oct 2015), entry for Helen Dalrymple, age 18, Ladybank, Collessie, Fife; Parish: Collessie; ED: 3; Page: 20; Line: 6; Roll: CSSCT1861_54.
- General Register Office, Scotland, “OPR Births & Baptisms,” database, ScotlandsPeople(www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ : accessed 21 Oct 2015), Isabel Donaldson, 12 Sep 1790; GROS 437/00 0010 0164.
- Scotland National Records of Scotland, death certificate 424/01 0270 (1875), Helen Dalrymple; digital image, National Records of Scotland, “Statutory Deaths,” ScotlandsPeople(http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ : accessed 21 Oct 2015). ScotlandsPeople(http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ :n.d.), 1875 SRI Death DALRYMPLE, HELEN (Statutory Deaths).
- National Records of Scotland, “1871 Scotland Census,” database, National Records of Scotland, ScotlandsPeople(http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ : accessed 24 Oct 2015), entry for Helen Dalrymple, Ladybank, Collessie, Fife; 1871 416/00 003/00 018.
- Scotland National Records of Scotland, death certificate 416/00 0014 (1873), Isabella Donaldson; digital image, National Records of Scotland, “Statutory Deaths,” ScotlandsPeople(http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ : accessed 24 Oct 2015).