I’m a bit late with this post this week, as it is now Sunday. This week, the surname I have chosen is Draper.
The person in my tree with this surname is Fortune Draper.
My line is:
1. Lois V. Whimpey
2. Ivon Walter Whimpey (1923-2009)
3. Edith Jean Marr (1922-1990)
4. John Ernest Whimpey (1884-1960)
5. Ivy May Harley (1890-1959)
8. Joseph Whimpey (1848-1919)
9. Sarah Jane Sharp (1853-1906)
16. Joseph Whimpey (1819-1902)
17. Margaret Price (1816-1901)
32. William Whimpey* (1789-1870)
33. Elizabeth Clement(s) (1792-1860)
64. Joseph Wimpey* (1761-1790)
65. Rebekah Dredge (1760-1844)
128. John Wimpey* (1710-1780)
129. Susanna Curtis (1720-1794)
256. Thomas Wimpey* (1678-1726)
257. Elizabeth Bigwood (1680-?)
512. Nicholas Wimpey* (1650-1721)
513. Ann (surname unknown) (1650-1710)
1024. Thomas Wimpey* (1620-1674)
1025. Fortune Draper (1620-?)
Although I am fairly sure of my line back to Nicholas, the only information I have for his parents has been information from a relative in the United States. I have been unable to find a baptism record to confirm who his parents were. Although I cannot be certain Nicholas’ parents were Thomas and Fortune, the surname is quite uncommon, so it is fairly certain that there is a connection.
Fortune Draper was married to Thomas Wimpew on 12 April 1640 at St John the Baptist Frome. The only baptism for a Fortune Draper I have been able to find on the transcriptions at FreeReg in Somerset between 1560 and 1700 is that of a Fortune Draper baptised 24 June 1594 at St John the Baptist Parish Frome. If this is the same Fortune, she was quite older than her husband, as he was probably the Thomas Wynpewe baptised 1 May 1620.