Trove Tuesday

Trove Tuesday – One of life’s many mistakes

This week I am featuring an article about my great aunt Ethelind Hannah Whimpey.  Ethel was my grandfather’s sister, and she married George Alexander Wilshusn in 1915.  They had had a daughter previously, in 1912.  The following article mentions her suing her husband for maintenance.

One of life's many mistakes
Marriage a Failure. (1921, October 25).Zeehan and Dundas Herald (Tas. : 1890 – 1922), , p. 4. Retrieved March 29, 2016, from

Marriage a Failure


 Melbourne. – At South Melbourne Court, Ethelind Hannah Wilshusen, of 106 Kerferd road, Albert Park, sued her husband for maintenance for herself and child. Complainant said she and defendent were married in April, 1915. He had left her on October 8, 1919, when he wrote:-

 To continue the hollow mockery, which our life together is, is utterly impossible, and in fact absurd.  I have definitely decided to go my own way alone. You know my reasons, the same as prevented me marrying you some years ago, namely, I have not one spark of affection for you. Unfortunately you are not suited to be my wife in any way whatsoever, and to try to lead a forced life would certainly end with tragic results. I am not coming to see you now or ever again.

 Mr. A. Buchanan, who appeared for Mrs. Wilshusen, said there was a lot more in this letter. The writer further declared:-

 I ask you not to worry. That would add insult to injury. Be sensible and make the best of an unfortunate business, one of life’s many mistakes and of the gravest. Should you cross my path at any time, please do not try to speak to me. I would not wish it. I trust you and your daughter will have good health and find some happiness. May I beg your forgiveness for what I am doing. It is best for us.

 Mr. M. Gross, J.P. – Defendant should have been a parson. (Laughter).

 Mr. Buchanan – He is very sententious.

 Mr. Gross.- I withdraw my previous remark. Defendant should have been a politician.

 Mr Buchanan- Wilshusen is in a good position in Seymour military camp.

 Defendant, who did not appear, was ordered to pay 25/ weekly towards the support of his wife, and 15/ towards that of the child, as well as to find the usual sureties.

George ended up moving to Western Australia and changing his name.  He is believed to have remarried.  Ethel never remarried.  She died on 21 June 1969.