The family in my tree with the closest association with Geelong was the Mulder family.
To tell the story about the Mulder family, and their connection to Geelong, I’ll start with Mary Ann Jones.
Mary Ann Jones was born about 1790 at East Ham, Essex, England. She married John (or Jan) Dirk Mulder in 1812 in London, and they had four children, three born in London, and one in Amsterdam, Netherlands. One of their children died young. Mary’s husband John Dirk Mulder was a sea captain, and he died while on a voyage. The family story is that he was either killed by pirates, or drowned, off the Canary Islands. I haven’t found any record to verify this.
After John’s death, Mary married Frederick Luper. They were living in London at the time of the 1851 census, and then they migrated to Australia in 1853, arriving at Hobsons Bay on 22 August 1853. They sailed on the “Gibson Craig”.
After arriving in Australia, Mary and Frederick settled in Geelong, which is where her son John was already living. More about John to follow. Mary’s two other sons had also come to Victoria, but they had settled in Ballarat, so I’m not including them in this story, except to mention my ex-husband is descended from her son Thomas.
The 1856 Electoral roll shows Frederick Luper living at Ashby Division, Geelong, at Harold Street.
Mary Ann Luper, formerly Mulder, M. N. Jones, died 15 September 1868 at Moorabool St, Geelong, from asthma. She was 74 years old. The informant at her death was her daughter in law, Sophia Mulder. She was buried 17 September 1868 at the Eastern Cemetery, Geelong (Eas-Coe-Old-X-825-X). Her husband Frederick died in 1862, and was buried 9 January 1862 at the Eastern Cemetery Geelong (EAS-UNK-X-825-X).
Mary’s son John Theodore Mulder and his family arrived at Port Phillip Bay on 28 April 1849.
John Theodore Mulder married Sophia Wynn in London, and the three children who travelled with them were
- Mary Ann Sophia Mulder born in 1841. She never married. She died in 1898 at Geelong.
- John Frederick Mulder born in 1841. More about John to follow.
- Louisa Maria Mulder born in 1848. Louisa married George Atkins, and their daughter Louisa Grace Atkins was born in 1886 at Geelong. Louisa died in 1934 at Geelong.
They had had 2 other children in London, who had died young
- Mary Ann Mulder born in 1839, died in 1840.
- Sophia Mulder born in 1843, died in 1844.
They had another 4 children:
- Eliza Jane Mulder born 29 Jun 1850 at Geelong. Eliza never married. She died in 1917 at Geelong.
- Thomas Theodore Mulder born in 1853. Thomas married Christina Finlayson, who was born in Geelong, but they moved away from Geelong.
- George Mulder born 1855 in Geelong. George married Margaret Joyce. They moved away from Geelong, although Margaret was buried at the Eastern Cemetery in Geelong.
- Emily Mulder born 1857 at Barrabool Hills. Emily died in 1858.
John died 25 June 1896 at Geelong and was buried at the Eastern Cemetery on 29 Jun 1896. His wife Sophia died in 1887 at Geelong, and was buried 21 January 1887 at the Eastern Cemetery.
John Frederick Mulder was born in London, and came to Australia with his parents in 1849, and grew up in Geelong. He married Jane Groves, and they had the following children:
- An unnamed male child, born and died 1865 in Geelong
- John Frederick Mulder, born 1866 in Geelong. More about John to follow.
- Mary Jane Mulder, born 1868 in Geelong. Mary married Theodore Kuhne and their 3 children were born in Geelong, before the family moved out of the area.
- Eliza Ann Mulder born and died in 1869 at Geelong.
- Sophia Louisa Mulder born 1869 in Geelong. She moved away from Geelong
- Eliza Ann Mulder born in 1871 in Geelong. She married James William Fewster, and their 4 children were born in Geelong, before the family moved out of the area
- Fanny Mulder was born in 1872 in Geelong. She married Frederick Johnson at the Congregational Church in Geelong on 25 September 1898, and their first three children were born at Geelong before they too moved away from Geelong.
- Elizabeth Mulder was born in 1874 in Geelong and died in 1877.
- Ernest William Mulder was born in 1877 in Geelong. Not much is known about Ernest up until his death in 1919 at Kew.
- George Henry Mulder was born in 1879 in Geelong. He married Alice Maud Mary Bennett in 1898 and their four children were also born in Geelong. The family then also moved out of the area.
- Alice Kate Mulder was born in 1882 in Geelong, Victoria, Australia and died in 1970 in Highton, Victoria, Australia at age 88. Alice married Edgar Walter Pittock on 24 Dec 1906 in Barrabool, Geelong, Victoria, Australia. Edgar was born in 1878 in Geelong, Victoria, Australia and died in 1954 in Geelong, Victoria, Australia at age 76.
John died in 1921 and was buried 29 December 1921 at the Eastern Cemetery in Geelong. His wife Jane Groves died at East Melbourne, and was buried 12 January 1914 at the Eastern Cemetery.
John Frederick Mulder (Jnr) was born in 1866 in Geelong, Victoria, Australia, died on 22 Apr 1935 in Private Hospital, Geelong, Victoria, Australia at age 69, and was buried on 24 Apr 1935 in Eastern Cemetery, Geelong, Victoria, Australia.
General Notes: His funeral was held at his residence at 66 Noble St Newtown.
John married Eliza Jane Jenkins in 1886 in Victoria, Australia. Eliza was born in 1860 and died in 1915 in Geelong, Victoria, Australia at age 55.
Children from this marriage were:
- Ethel May Mulder was born in 1889 in Geelong, Victoria, Australia and died in 1924 in Geelong, Victoria, Australia at age 35. She married Percival Walter Arthur Reid, and their 5 children were born at Geelong. Percival died in Geelong in 1966.
- John Albert Leslie Mulder was born in 1893 in Geelong, Victoria, Australia and died in 1966 in Geelong, Victoria, Australia at age 73. John married Helen Coupland McGeoch in 1923. Helen died in Western Australia.
- Eric Charles Mulder was born in 1903 in Geelong, Victoria, Australia, died before 22 Feb 1977 in Geelong, Victoria, Australia, and was buried on 22 Feb 1977 in Eastern Cemetery, Geelong, Victoria, Australia. Eric married Ivy Grace Combridge in 1930 in Victoria, Australia. Ivy was born in 1902 in Geelong, Victoria, Australia, died before 30 Jan 1968 in Geelong, Victoria, Australia, and was buried on 30 Jan 1968 in Eastern Cemetery, Geelong, Victoria, Australia.