Blogging from A to Z

Blogging from A to Z – X is for X marks the spot

There is no town in Victoria that starts with the letter X, and very few words that start with X. so I had to do something a little different with this post. When thinking about what to select for the letter X, I thought “X marks the spot – where my ancestors arrived”, and that would be Port Phillip Bay

The first of my ancestors to arrive were my dad’s great grandparents, Joseph Whimpey and Margaret Price. Joseph was born in 1819 in Frome, Somerset, England. He left Frome around the age of 12 to work in the coal mines in Wales, and it was there that he met Margaret Price, who had been born in 1816 in Merthyr Cynog, Breconshire. They were married in 1840, and their first daughter was born in Wales in December 1840. Joseph and Margaret were still in Wales at the time of the 1841 census, but had travelled to Bristol by 21 August, when they sailed from Bristol on the “Ward Chipman”. The “Ward Chipman” arrived in Melbourne on 16 December 1841. Joseph’s brother John and his wife Caroline also sailed with them on this ship.

The next of my ancestors to arrive was my mum’s great grandfather, Alfred Docwra. Alfred was born in 1824 in Bassingbourn, Cambridgeshire. In 1841, Alfred appears on the census in Bassingbourn. By 1848, he had made his way to Plymouth, where he embarked for Australia on the “Cheapside”, which sailed from Plymouth on 21st May 1848. The “Cheapside” arrived in Port Phillip Bay on 18th August 1848.

In 1849, two sets of ancestors arrived. George Oliver came to Australia with his parents, Frederick Oliver and Susannah Campkin, and his brother Ralph, on the “Mary Shepherd”, which arrived at Port Phillip on 4 April 1849.
James and Martha Richardson came to Australia with their son Peter on the “Ann Milne”. They arrived at Port Phillip on 19 May 1849.

In 1851, Mary Scott came to Australia with her brother David. They travelled on the “Sea”, which arrived at Hobson’s Bay on 20 August 1851.

Robert and Euphemia left their home in Dundee, Angus, Scotland, with their three children, John, Mary Bell and Margaret, and travelled to Liverpool, where they boarded the “Wanata”. They left Liverpool on 10 June 1852, and arrived in Melbourne on 4 October 1852. Sadly, their youngest daughter, Margaret, died on the voyage.

Ann Slawson came to Australia at the age of 21. She sailed on the “Neleus”, which left Southampton on 10th August 1854, and arrived at Melbourne on 23rd October 1854.

Thomas Henry Russell, with his mother and siblings, sailed to Australia on the “Almora”. The “Almora” sailed from Liverpool on 3rd July 1856, and arrived at Hobson’s Bay on 13 September 1856. His grandmother, Mary Russell nee Moore, and brother Martin sailed on the “Morning Light”. The “Morning Light” arrived at Queenscliff on 17th September 1856. I haven’t been able to find an immigration record for Thomas’s father Garrett yet. He came to Australia first, to take on the role as incumbent at Buninyong. Although I don’t have details of his arrival, he would have probably have sailed through Port Phillip Bay when he arrived as well.

Thomas Henry Russell’s wife Maria Louisa Doyle, came to Australia with her parents, Thomas Doyle and Catherine Mills, and her siblings, on the “Great Britain”. They sailed from Liverpool on 14th June 1862, and arrived in Melbourne in August 1862.

The last to arrive was my great grandmother Sarah Jane Sharp, who came to Australia with her parents Henry Sharp and Jane Elizabeth Oldroyd in 1863, on the “Marco Polo”. They sailed from Liverpool on 6 August 1863, and arrived in Melbourne on 16 November 1863. Jane’s sister Rachel, and her family came on the same ship.

My other immigrant ancestors were:
William Edward Ball. I haven’t found an immigration record for William yet. He received his master’s certificate in 1853 in London, and married in 1855 in Victoria. It is possibly he came as the master of a ship, and decided to stay when he got here. Although I don’t know exactly when he arrived, since he was married in Melbourne in 1855, he would have probably sailed through Port Phillip Bay when he arrived.

William John Reeves came to the Australian on the “Emma Eugenia”, which left Plymouth on 4th February 1849, and arrived at Port Jackson, New South Wales, on 9th June 1849. He was in Victoria by 1858, when he married Mary Gill. He may have travelled overland, but was more likely to have travelled from Sydney to Melbourne by ship, and therefore probably also arrived through Port Phillip Bay.

Mary Gill nee Scott, and her children, John, Jane and Mary, came to Australia after William Gill died in Cumberland, England. They sailed on the “Shackamaxon”, while left Liverpool on 4th October 1852, and arrived at Port Adelaide on 19th January 1853. By 1858, they had travelled to Amherst in Victoria, where daughter Mary was married to William John Reeves. They may have travelled overland, or by ship from Adelaide to Portland, and are probably my only ancestors who didn’t come through Port Phillip Bay.