The first ancestor in my tree with this surname is my 2x great grandmother Jane Elizabeth Oldroyd. My line is:
1 Lois Whimpey
2 Ivon Walter Whimpey (1923-2009)
3 Edith Jean Marr (1922-1990)
4 John Ernest Whimpey (1884-1960)
5 Ivy May Harley (1890-1959)
8 Joseph Whimpey (1848-1919)
9 Sarah Jane Sharp (1853-1906)
18 Henry Sharp (1826-1892)
19 Jane Elizabeth Oldroyd (1828-1902)
Jane was born 5 April 1828 in Wakefield, Yorkshire, England. She had a twin brother, Joshua. Her parents were Mark Oldroyd and Elizabeth Sidebottom
The 1841 England Census shows that Jane was still at home with her parents at Rail Road Lake Lock, Stanley cum Wrenthorpe. Jane married Henry Sharp on 1 August 1847 in Wakefield, and the 1851 England Census shows them with daughter Elizabeth and son John living in Wakefield.
In 1861, the family had moved to Newton Head, Lancashire, and were in the same household with Jane’s sister Rachel and her family.
In 1863, the two families migrated to Australia on the “Marco Polo”, leaving Liverpool on 6 August 1863, and arriving in Melbourne on 16 November 1863.
The two families also bought adjoining land in the Parish of Woodstock on Loddon.
Jane died 10 July 1902 at Collingwood, Victoria, Australia
38 Mark Oldroyd
39 Elizabeth Sidebottom
Mark was born 27 May 1791, and christened 4 Jun 1791 at West Gate Presbyterian in Wakefield. He was the son of John Oldroyd and Mary Whitworth. He married Elizabeth Sidebottom on 25 December 1816 at St John Wakefield, and they had the following children:
- Sarah Oldroyd was christened 29 June 1817 at East Ardsley, Yorkshire, England. She married Edward Downs Horsfall in the September quarter 1845, in the Bradford registration district. Edward was a widower (he had previously married Mary Jackson), with a daughter, Ann. Edward and Sarah two children: Joe and Jane. Sarah may have died in 1854. Her two children migrated to Australia with their uncle James Oldroyd.
- John Oldroyd was born 11 November 1818 and christened 13 December 1818 at East Ardsley. He married Hannah Auty on 3 May 1843 in Leeds, and Hannah died in 1847. John migrated to South Australia where he had 4 illegitimate daughters, before moving to Victoria. John died 12 September 1906 in Cambridge Street, Collingwood
- Mary Ann Oldroyd was christened 22 April 1821 at East Ardsley. She married George Normandale on 6 July 1846 at Rheoboth Chapel in Leeds. They had 6 children. Mary possibly died in 1896 at Bradford, Yorkshire.
- Elizabeth Oldroyd was christened 20 July 1823 at East Ardsley. She married John Wright in 1862. The 1871 England Census shows that her mother Elizabeth Oldroyd (nee Sidebottom) was living with them. There is a possible death for Elizabeth in 1883 in Wakefield.
- Emma Oldroyd was christened 20 November 1825 at East Ardsley. She married James Abson on 15 December 1844 at St John, Wakefield. They had three children in Wakefield, before migrating to Australia. Emma died 11 May 1893 in Kew, Victoria, Australia
- Joshua Oldroyd was born 5 April 1828 at Wakefield. He married Mary Asquith in 1850 in Wakefield. They had 4 children in Wakefield, before Joshua migrated to Australia. Mary remained in England, where she died in 1902. Joshua died 30 January 1899 in Collingwood, Victoria, Australia. Joshua’s 3 eldest children remained in England, but his son Thomas also migrated to Australia with his family.
- Jane Elizabeth Oldroyd 1828-1902 my 2x great grandmother
- Amos (or Anne) Oldroyd. Family records show that Mark and Elizabeth had a daughter Anne who remained in England. The 1841 England Census shows that in the household of Mark and Elizabeth there is a male aged 10, with the name that looks like Amos. Since this child appears between the twins Joshua and Jane age 13, and Rachel age 7, this would indicate he was a child of Mark and Elizabeth. I have been unable to find any record for this child after the 1841 England Census.
- Rachel Oldroyd was born about 1833 in Wakefield. She married Rowland Tidd in 1854 at Wakefield. They had 3 children in England, before migrating to Australia in 1863 on the “Marco Polo”. Rachel died in 1922 at Northcote, Victoria, Australia
- James Oldroyd was born about 1836. He married Mary Ann Jordon in 1861 in Leeds, Yorkshire, England, and they then migrated to Australia on the “Great Tasmania” in March 1863, with James’s niece and nephew, Jane and Joe Horsfall. James and Mary had two daughters after arriving in Australia. James died 1 June 1904 in Camberwell, Victoria, Australia.
- Hannah Maria Oldroyd was born about 1841. She married George Gill between 1861 and 1871, and they migrated to Australia in 1878 on the “Cuzco”. They had no children. Hannah died 24 November 1929 at Northcote, Victoria, Australia.
Mark died 13 April 1868 at Grand Stand, Alverthorpe, Yorkshire, England.
76 John Oldroyd
77 Mary Whitworth
At this stage, the only record I am fairly certain of is the marriage of John Oldroyd to Mary Whitworth on 17 June 1781 at All Saints, Wakefield.
The following children have been found for John and Mary in Wakefield from 1781.
- John Oldroyd christened 22 March 1783 at All Saints, Wakefield
- Matthew Oldroyd christened 5 May 1787 at All Saints, Wakefield
- James Oldroyd born 6 April 1789 and christened 31 May 1789 at West Gate Presbyterian, Wakefield
- Mark Oldroyd born 27 May 1791 and christened 4 June 1791 at West Gate Presbyterian, Wakefield
- William Oldroyd christened 22 August 1795 at All Saints, Wakefield
- Ann Oldroyd christened 16 April 1800 at All Saints, Wakefield
I have found two possible baptisms for John: one in 1745, which would seem a bit old to be our John, and one in 1768, which would appear to be too young. Since I haven’t yet been able to confirm which baptism is for our John, I have not been able to trace this family back any further at this stage.