The first person in my tree with this surname was my great grandmother, Emily Alice Oliver:
1 Lois Whimpey
2 Ivon Walter Whimpey (1923-2009)
3 Edith Jean Marr (1922-1990)
6 Wilfred Palmer Marr (1892-1955)
7 Edith Meriden Docwra (1904-1948)
14 Harry Docwra (1866-1934)
15 Emily Alice Oliver (1877-1925)
Emily was born 16 July 1877 at Bairnsdale, Victoria, Australia. She was the daughter of George Oliver and Elizabeth Ann Ball.
Emily married Harry Docwra on 5 November 1902 in Sale, Victoria, Australia, and they had four children:
- Edith Meriden Docwra (1904-1948)
- George Henry Docwra (1906-1972)
- Annie Eileen Docwra (1909-1997)
- Ronald James Docwra (1917-1957)
Emily died 26 October 1925 at Baxter. An inquest was held into her death at Frankston on 27 October 1925 by Dr Berriman, Coroner for District (no 11560. The verdict was suffocation by hanging by her own act.
30 George Oliver (1846-1930)
31 Elizabeth Ann Ball (1856-1909)
George was born 9 October 1846, and christened 22 November 1846 in Melbourn, Cambridgeshire, England. He was the son of Frederick Oliver and Susanna Campkin. When George was only 2 years old, he came to Australia with his parents and infant brother Ralph, sailing on the “Mary Shepherd”, which arrived at Port Phillip on 4 April 1849.
The family lived at Richmond, where his father died of colonial fever in 1855.
By 1875, George had moved to Bairnsdale, and he married Elizabeth Ann Ball on 12 September 1875.
George and Elizabeth had 10 children:
- Mary Ann Oliver (1875-1942). Mary Ann married Alfred Swan.
- Emily Alice Oliver (1877-1925). My great grandmother
- Frederick George Oliver (1878-1918) Frederick married Emma Martha Dew in 1907 in New Zealand, and their first child was born in New Zealand. They then moved to Queensland where two more sons were born. Frederick died in 1918 in Queensland.
- Esther Agnes Oliver (1880-1880) Esther died at the age of 12 days.
- Mabel Florence Oliver (1882-1969) Mabel married Samuel Answer
- Ernest Arthur Oliver (1884-1952) Ernest moved to New Zealand. He died 1 November 1952 at Lepperton, Taranaki, New Zealand. Ernest appears to have married twice.
- Harry Silvester Oliver (1886-1954). Harry moved to Queensland, where he married Annie Julia Lynch on 24 December 1915. He died 18 September 1954 in Cairns. His obituary shows he had 2 daughters and 3 sons.
- George William Douglas Oliver (1888-1918) George was killed in action in World War 1. He never married.
- Eveline Myrtle Oliver (1892-1962). She married John Vine Holt.
- Elsie Agnes Oliver (1894-1974). She married Sydney George Holt. Sydney was the brother of John Vine Holt.
60 Frederick Oliver (1824-1855)
61 Susannah Campkin (1827-1880)
Frederick was christened 21 November 1824 in Melbourn, Cambridgeshire, England. His parents were Silvester Oliver and Mary Ann Burgess.
The 1841 England Census shows Frederick was still living with his parents in Melbourn. He married Susannah Campkin on 2 July 1846 in Melbourn.
Frederick and Susannah had two sons in England, George and Ralph, before the family migrated to Australia in 1849 on the “Mary Shepherd”. They settled in Richmond
Frederick died 2 April 1855 at Church Street Richmond, from colonial fever. His death certificate lists his children as:
2 sons & 1 daughter dead
One of the sons who was deceased in 1855 would have been the son Ralph who travelled with his parents to Australia in 1849. Images from a page from a Family Bible in a Public Member tree at ancestry http://mv.ancestry.com.au/viewer/a6e9538d-65c1-4ac3-8ff6-ebe394365c45/7115573/-1161110974?_phsrc=ixQ1334&usePUBJs=true show that Ralph was born 31 December 1847, and died 18 May 1849.
This page also has a daughter Mary Ann(?) Oliver born Jan 1849 or 1850, died Dec 20 18?
The same family tree also has a page from another Family Bible
On this page the year of birth for Mary appears to have been altered to 1849. Her date of death is Dec 20 185? – the last number might be a 2 or a 1. These Family Bible pages make no mention of the other son who was deceased at the time of Frederick’s death.
Unfortunately, I have been unable to find church records for the children of Frederick and Susannah between the time they arrived in Victoria, and Frederick’s death, except the baptism for Silvester. Even Agnes, who appears to have been born after civil registration began, is missing from the birth indexes.
Silvester’s baptism record shows he was born 4 June 1851, and baptized 24 July 1852. It would therefore appear that the Family Bible page that was unaltered was more likely to be correct. This record also shows it was a Wesleyan baptism. My next step would be to see if other records from this time period still exist, so that I can verify Ralph’s death date, and Mary’s details.
Of the three children who were still alive when Frederick died:
- George was my 2x great grandfather.
- Silvester (or Sylvester) married Emma Esther Ball in 1875. Emma was the sister of Elizabeth Ann Ball, who married George. Sylvester died in 1897 in Bairnsdale.
- Agnes married Edward George in 1891. They appear to have had no children. Agnes died in 1909 in Bairnsdale
120 Silveseter Oliver (1805-1879)
121 Mary Ann Burgess (1806-1872)
Silvester was born 20 May 1805 and christened 4 July 1805 in Melbourn, Cambridgeshire, England. He was the son of Henry Oliver and Elizabeth Blott.
Silvester married Mary Ann Burgess on 24 October 1824 in Melbourn.
Silvester and Mary Ann had 10 children, who were all born in Melbourn.
- Frederick Oliver born 14 Nov 1824, baptized 21 November 1824
- Joseph Oliver born 28 March 1827, baptized 29 April 1827.
- Emily (Emely on parish register Emeley on Bishops Transcripts) Oliver born 2 August 1829 and baptized 18 October 1829
- Henry Oliver baptized 25 March 1832
- Silvester Oliver born 18 February, baptized 20 July 1834
- Mary Anne Oliver baptized 3 July 1836
- Sarah Oliver baptized 9 July 1837
- Arthur Oliver born about 1840.
- Elizabeth Oliver born about 1843.
- Agnes Oliver born about 1846
Silvester died 8 July 1879 in Melbourn.
240 Henry Oliver (1762-1833)
241 Elizabeth Blott (1774-1814)
Henry married Elizabeth Blott on 14 December 1794 in Meldreth, Cambridgeshire, England. They had 4 children:
- Henry (1797-?)
- Charlotte (1799-1878)
- Sarah (1801-?)
- Silvester (1805-1879)
Henry was buried 20 September 1833 in Melbourn, Cambridgeshire, England. I have not yet found a baptism record for him, so this is as far back as I have gone on this family.