The first person in my tree with this surname was Ann(a) Paty(Patie).
My ancestor line is:
1 Lois Whimpey
2 Ivon Walter Whimpey (1923-2009)
3 Edith Jean Marr (1922-1990)
4 John Ernest Whimpey (1884-1960)
5 Ivy May Harley (1890-1959)
10 Alexander Alexander Harley (1866-1939)
11 Henrietta Louisa Russell (1865-1949)
20 Robert Harley (1817-1891)
21 Euphemia Dandie (1824-1902).
42 John Dandie (1800-1841)
43 Catherine Susanna Hardie (1799-1867)
86 Peter Hardie (1760-1854)
87 Janet Henderson (1761-bef 1851)
172 Peter (Patrick) Hardie (1721-?)
173 Ann(a) Paty (Patie)
Ann Paty married Patrick Hardy on 8 December 1753 at Leuchars, Fife, Scotland. They had nine children:
- David christened 21 October 1754 at Leuchars. Parents listed as Patrick Hardy and Ann Patty
- James christened 2 May 1756 at Leuchars. Parents listed as Patrick Hardy and Ann Patty
- Jannet christened 3 September 1758 at Leuchars. Parents listed as Patrick Hardy and Ann Patty.
- Peter christened 28 December 1760 at Leuchars, Parents listed as Peter Hardie and Anna Patie
- Mary christened 24 October 1763 at Leuchars. Parents listed as Patrick Hardie and Ann Patie
- Ann christened 25 May 1766 at Leuchars. Parents listed as Patrick Hardie and Ann Patie.
- Christian christened 26 March 1769 at Leuchars. Parents listed as Peter Hardie and Anne Patie
- Robert christened 19 July 1772 at Leuchars. Parents listed as Patrick Hardy and Annie Patie.
- William christened 17 December 1775 at Kemback. Parents listed as Peter Hardie and Anna Patie.
I have found a number of possible baptism entries for Ann(a), including 2 from Leuchars:
1 24/11/1732 PATTIE ANN JAMES PATTIE/MARY SCOT FR78 (FR78) F LEUCHARS /FIFE 445/00 0010 0072
2 25/06/1721 PETTIE ANN WILLIAM PETTIE/MARGARET DISHART FR64 (FR64) F LEUCHARS /FIFE 445/00 0010 0058
Based on the names of Peter and Ann’s children, and the fact that their youngest child was born in 1775, it seems more likely that the baptism of Ann Pattie in 1732 is for our Ann(a).
James Patie married Mary Scot on 9 July 1725 at Leuchars. I still need to do more research into this family, to try and take the line further back.