1) Mary Harrell-Sesniak posted a “Rootin’ Tootin’ True Confessions of Genealogists Quiz”on the GenealogyBank Blog this week, and invited readers to answer the 50 questions. She also provided a score sheet.
2) For this week’s SNGF, let’s answer her questions and see how we score. Copy and paste my answers below and edit the list for yourself (be sure to delete or edit my comments).
3) Please share your responses and your score in a blog post of your own, in a comment to Mary’s post, or on Facebook or Google Plus.
Give yourself a point if you have ever…
- __Gone to sleep reciting details about ancestors? No, I don’t think so.
- __Photographed more than 20 tombstones? Not yet – I only have 13.
- __Had an ancestral chart, family photo, coat of arms, ship of immigration (or similar) professionally printed or framed? No
- __Figured out your kinship to someone famous? No, not yet
- __Solved a stranger’s dead-end mystery for free? No, not yet.
- __Considered consulting a psychic about genealogy? No
- __Taken a selfie in a graveyard or hugged a tombstone? No
- __Probed the ground or used a divining rod to locate a missing tombstone? No
- __Written your own obituary? No
- __Created a birth, marriage or death notice (obit) for an ancestor who didn’t have one? No,
- _x Eschewed the sunshine for valuable library/research time (or met the dawn while tracing your family tree)? All the time!
- __Celebrated a birthday, marriage or commemorative event of a deceased forebear? No, not really
- __Rescued (i.e., purchased) photos, medals or similar objects of someone not related to you? No
- __Reunited lost artifacts with living relatives? No
- __Centered a vacation around genealogy? No – I haven’t really been on a vacation since I had my kids.
- _x_Traveled to meet a newly discovered cousin whom you met through genealogy research? If attending a family reunion organised by someone I met through my research counts.
- __Tested your DNA? No, not yet
- __Paid for others to get their DNA tested? No
- __Worn clothing (t-shirts, jackets, hats) emblazoned with genealogy surnames, slogans, society names, etc.? No
- __Upon their leaving the nest, converted your child’s bedroom (or personal space) into a genealogy room? No – my daughter hasn’t left home yet, and we have enough room for me not to need to.
- __Spent more on genealogy in a month than groceries? No, I can’t afford to do that.
- __Collected odd records in the name of genealogy (for example, taxes)? No
- __Added margin notations in books (error corrections, enhanced details)? No
- _x_Mapped a forebear’s traipsings? Yes
- __Traveled more than 100 miles for research (library, court house)? No, not yet, but I now live over 100 miles from Melbourne, so I will the next time I go to research at the State Library or Public Record Office.
- __Purchased something that belonged to an ancestor or that has his/her name on it (photo albums, homesteads, lineage society pins)? No
- __Participated in a reenactment related to your ancestry? No
- __Made something to commemorate genealogy (historical costumes, paraphernalia, needlepoint or model of an immigrant ship, painting, genealogy quilt)? No
- __Joined more than five lineage or genealogy societies? No, I don’t think there are more than 5 here in Australia to begin with.
- __Overlaid an ancestor’s photo on that of a living person to identify a doppelganger (look-alike)? No
- __Downloaded, emailed or shared genealogy jokes? No
- _x_Purchased a book with only a small reference to your ancestry (100 words)? Yes
- __Mentioned genealogy in your will? No – I haven’t prepared a will yet
- __Studied old handwriting or consulted with a handwriting expert so that you can read old documents? No, not really
- __Made a gen-tote of gadgets for on-the-go projects (portable scanning, grave cleaning, flash drives, notepads, acid free gloves)? No
- __Taken a handful of dirt or a stone from a place significant to your ancestry? No
- __Diverted a mealtime conversation to genealogy? No
- __Initiated conversations about ancestry with complete strangers (outside of a genealogy setting)? No
- _x_Researched the genealogy of complete strangers? I belong to a couple of yahoo groups and location mailing lists, and I occasionally help out by doing a bit of research for others
- _x_Transcribed an old document, or more than 500 genealogy records? Definitely. I still also have quite a lot waiting to be transcribed.
- __Joined a dozen or more social media genealogy groups? No, I’ve only joined a couple.
- _x_Created a genealogy blog or a public tree (online)? Yes – I have this blog, and trees at Ancestry, MyHeritage, FamilySearch, Genesreunited, Rootsweb World Connect, and a Rootsweb FreePages.
- _x_Published a family history book or distributed genealogy folders amongst the relatives? I did give my dad a folder with my research one year, and I have sent genealogy reports to my relatives
- __Programmed gen-destinations (court houses, cemeteries) into your GPS? No – I don’t have GPS yet.
- __Taken genealogy courses with the intention of receiving a certificate or other form of recognition? No, not yet, but I plan to, as soon as I can afford it.
- __Paid to attend genealogy conferences? No – haven’t had the time or money
- __Searched surnames on eBay? No, although I did find some items made by an ancestor through a general Google search, that were being sold on eBay.
- __Scoured thrift or resale shops for genealogical finds? No
- __Trespassed in the name of genealogy? No
- __Dined anywhere but your dining table to avoid disturbing a genealogy project? No – I’ve pretty much always had a separate desk or table for genealogy.
I only scored 8 – You Need to Find Another Hobby Award.
Being a single parent with a daughter with a disability, I am only able to spend a limited amount of money on genealogy, and it also means I am limited in the amount of free time I have. This means that I haven’t been able to afford, or haven’t had the spare time, to do many of these tasks.