Trove Tuesday

Trove Tuesday – Adrian Ernest Marr

In the last few weeks, I have been featuring articles for the descendants of my great grandfather’s brother Peter Marr.  This week, I am featuring an article for a descendant of my great grandfather’s brother Charles Marr.

Charles had a son, Adrian Ernest Marr, who died aged 2 years.  This article provides detail about Adrian’s death.

Sad Burning Fatality
SAD BURNING FATALITY. (1893, December 26). The Age (Melbourne, Vic. : 1854 – 1954), p. 6. Retrieved August 23, 2016, from



A fatal fire occurred at Mr. C. Marr’s farm, Kooreh, on Saturday night.  During the absence of his father and mother, a candle placed on a table in the bedroom of Adrian Marr, aged 2½ years, fell down and set fire to the house, burning the boy to death.  Two brothers, the oldest 8 years, after being unable to save Adrian, escaped uninjured. The house was burnt to the ground, and its contents were all destroyed.  At an inquiry held on Saturday afternoon by Mr. D. Williamson, J.P., a verdict of death through being accidentally burnt was recorded.

What struck me was the date of the article – 26 December.  This would have been a tragedy at any time, but the fact that it happened just before Christmas would have been even harder on the family.

This article also appeared in the

Mount Alexander Mail on Wednesday 27 December 1893 (THE WAR IN AFRICA. (1893, December 27). Mount Alexander Mail (Vic. : 1854 – 1917), p. 3. Retrieved August 23, 2016, from

Advocate (Melbourne) on Saturday 30 December 1893 (Country News. (1893, December 30).Advocate (Melbourne, Vic. : 1868 – 1954), p. 20. Retrieved August 23, 2016, from

The Leader (Melbourne) on Saturday 30 December 1893 (NEWS IN BRIEF. (1893, December 30).Leader (Melbourne, Vic. : 1862 – 1918), p. 39. Retrieved August 23, 2016, from

There was also this article, with slightly different details.

Adrian Marr death
NEWS OF THE DAY. (1893, December 27). The Ballarat Star (Vic. : 1865 – 1924), p. 1. Retrieved August 23, 2016, from

A child named Adrian Marr, two years old, living with his parents near St. Arnaud, was, on Saturday night, burnt to death in the house. Two elder brothers, aged eight and six years, had put the little fellow to bed and retired themselves, when the child called out to them, he having, it is supposed, overturned the candle and set the house on fire. The elder boys ineffectually tried to save their younger brother.