I am continuing my series on the research I have done on the family of Matilda Stewart and Charles Gordon. Today, I am looking at their eldest child, Margaret Nicol Gordon.
Margaret Nicol Gordon was born about 1838, in Scotland. I have not found a baptism for her, or her parents’ marriage, or where they were at the time of the 1841 census. The earliest record found was a mention of a Mr and Mrs Gordon and three children arriving in the Port Phillip District in April 1843.
Margaret married Matthew Duncan in 1861 (reg. no. 207). The Victorian BDM website shows they had the following children:
- William Duncan born in 1862 at Long (#10733)
- Matilda Duncan born in 1863 at Sand (#22796)
- Jane Fraser Duncan born in 1865 at Sand (#4899)
- Charles Gordon Duncan born in 1866 at S’hurst (#23784)
- Matthew Duncan born in 1868 at Sandhurst (#19226)
- Donald Robert Duncan born in 1870 at Sand (#18844)
- George Matthew Duncan born in 1872 at Sand (#26065)
- Margaret Nichol Duncan born in 1875 at Sand (#11964)
- Annie Isabella Duncan born in 1878 at Sand (#11676)
- Matthew Gordon Duncan born in 1880 at Shurst (#25003)
- Beatrice Made Duncan born in 1883 at Sand (#12241)
By 1888, Margaret had moved in with her father and brother as they were all living in Dandenong Road East St Kilda, as indicated in the following article. Her father died in 1888.
Margaret died in 1903 at East Melbourne (reg. no. 2465). A search of the Wills and Probate collection on the Public Record Office Victoria website showed she died 9 January 1903, and her residence at the time of her death was Carlton. Her will is available online, and it shows she was “of 140 Station Street Carlton”. The will mentions the following children:
- Son George Matthew Duncan
- Daughter Annie Isabella Duncan
- Daughter Beatrice Madey Duncan
- Daughter Matilda Stewart Robertson
- Daughter Margaret Nicol Brewer
The next thing to do was to try and find deaths for the children. I started with the records from Victoria
- William Duncan died in 1935 at Spring V (#16971)
- Matilda Stewart Robertson – no death found in Victoria
- Jane Frazer Embry died in 1938 at Cfield (#10333)
- Charles Gordon Duncan died in 1939 at Melb (#3424)
- Matthew Duncan died in 1870, aged 1 year (#2623)
- Donald Robert Duncan died in 1970 at Preston, aged 100 years (#21825)
- George Matthew Duncan – no death found in Victoria
- Margaret Nichol Brewer – no death found in Victoria
- Annie Isabella Baker died in 1953 at Parkville (#11568)
- Matthew Gordon Duncan – no death found in Victoria
- Beatrice Made Peters died in 1973 at Parkdale (#12310)
The will of Margaret’s brother Charles Gordon had mentioned that Margaret Nichol Brewer was of “Sand Hill Launceston”, and was the wife of Alexander Brewer. I did a search of the Names Index on the LincTasmania site, and found the marriage of Margaret Duncan to Alexander George Brewer on 19 July 1899 at Launceston. Since the deaths available online for Tasmania only go up to 1912, I haven’t found a death record for Margaret yet. I also was unable to find a death notice for her on Trove, although I did find one for her husband.
I then turned to Ancestry, to try and find the deaths for Matilda, George and Matthew.
Matilda Stewart Robertson died in 1908 at Narromine, New South Wales (reg. no. 14545). Her parents were Matthew and Margaret N. It was while searching for articles for Margaret Nicol Duncan that I found the death notice for Matilda:
I found a number of entries for George Matthew Duncan in the Australian Electoral rolls, 1903-1980 collection at Ancestry, living in Tempe, Cook, New South Wales. I couldn’t find his death entry on Ancestry, so I turned to the New South Wales Births, Deaths and Marriages website
George Matthew Duncan died in 1937 (Reg. no. 17223/1937) at Newtown. His parents’ given names were Matthew and Margaret Nicol.
On Ancestry, I found a number of entries for a Matthew Gordon Duncan in the New Zealand, Electoral Rolls, 1853-1981 collection, living in Auckland.
I also found a death entry in 1960 at Ancestry, which showed he died in Auckland, so I went to the New Zealand Births Deaths and Marriages website, to see if the entry there had more information.
|Registration Number||Family Name||Given Name(s)||Date of Birth/
Age at Death
Although the age matches, I still wasn’t sure if this was the same Matthew Gordon Duncan, or not. The death notice for his brother Charles Gordon Duncan indicated that it most likely was.
Ancestry also had a marriage entry for a General Matthew Gordon Duncan to Cecelia Dooley in 1903. I therefore went to the PapersPast website, and searched the newspapers for any articles for Matthew Gordon Duncan, and found the following marriage notice:
This marriage notice provided enough information to be fairly confident that the death in 1960 was for our Matthew Gordon Duncan.
Ancestry also had a cemetery record for Matthew Gordon Duncan.
I could now update my list of the children, to include some basic birth, death and marriage information:
- William Duncan born in 1862 at Long Gully, near Bendigo, died in 1935 at Springvale
- Matilda Duncan born in 1863 at Sandhurst (Bendigo). She married Angus Robertson, and died 16 November 1903 at Narromine, New South Wales.
- Jane Fraser Duncan born in 1865 at Sandhurst. She married a man named Embry. Jane died in 1938 at Caulfield.
- Charles Gordon Duncan born in 1866 at Sandhurst. He died 23 April 1939 at Melbourne
- Matthew Duncan born in 1868 at Sandhurst. He died in 1870
- Donald Robert Duncan born in 1870 at Sandhurst. He died in 1970 at Preston, at the age of 100 years.
- George Matthew Duncan born in 1872 at Sandhurst. He died in 1937 at Newtown, New South Wales.
- Margaret Nichol Duncan born in 1875 at Sandhurst. She married Alexander George Brewer on 19 July 1899 at Launceston, Tasmania. It is not yet known when she died.
- Annie Isabella Duncan born in 1878 at Sandhurst. She married a man named Baker, and died in 1953 at Parkville
- Matthew Gordon Duncan born in 1880 at Sandhurst. He married Cecelia Dooley on 8 July 1903 at Wellington, New Zealand. He died 16 October 1960 at Auckland, New Zealand
- Beatrice Made Duncan born in 1883 at Sandhurst. She married a man named Peters, and died in 1973 at Parkdale.