The ancestor in my tree with this surname is Eupham Steven.
My ancestral line is:
1 Lois Whimpey
2 Ivon Walter Whimpey (1923-2009)
3 Edith Jean Marr (1922-1990)
4 John Ernest Whimpey (1884-1960)
5 Ivy May Harley (1890-1959)
10 Alexander Alexander Harley (1866-1939)
11 Henrietta Louisa Russell (1865-1949)
20 Robert Harley (1817-1891)
21 Euphemia Dandie (1824-1902).
42 John Dandie (1800-1841)
43 Catherine Hardie (1799-1867)
84 John Dandie (1762-1851)
85 Janet Donaldson (1771-1860)
168 John Dandie (1733-1816)
169 Eupham Steven
Eupham married John Dandie on 31 July 1756 at Kilmany, Fife, Scotland. They had 8 children:
- James Dandie b 1758
- Jannet Dandie b 1759
- John Dandie (1762-1851)
- David Dandie b 1764
- William Dandie b 1765
- Agnes Dandie b 1767
- Thomas Dandie b 1768
- David Dandie b 1770
John Dandie had been christened 8 April 1733 at Kilmany. The Dandie family had originated from Balmerino, then moved to Kilmany, and later to Ferry Port on Craig (Tayport). It seems likely that Eupham would have been from the same area. The most likely baptism record I found was for Euphan Stiven christened 27 August 1732 at Kilmany. Her parents were James Stiven and Janet Lauson.
James Steven married Janet Lawson on 3 June 1720 at Cameron, Fife, Scotland.
James and Janet had the following children:
- James Steven christened 16 April 1721 at Logie, Fife (only father James listed)
- Agnes Stephan christened in 1722 at Kilmany (only father James listed)
- Unnamed Female Stephan christened 1 November 1724 at Kilmany (only father James listed)
- Unnamed Male Stephan christened 22 May 1726 at Kilmany (only father James listed)
- Waltar Stiven born 22 August 1730 at Kilmany, Fife
- Euphan Stiven born 21 August 1732, christened 27 August 1732 at Kilmany, Fife
- Alexander Stiven born 9 July 1734, christened 14 July 1734 at Kilmany, Fife
- Margaret Stiven born 21 November 1735, christened 23 November 1735 at Kilmany, Fife
- Anne Stiven born 5 March 1739, christened 1 March 1739 at Kilmany, Fife
A James Steven was christened 22 December 1702 at Crail, Fife, Scotland. His parents were James Steven and Agnes Begbie.
There are two entries for James Stein and Agnes Begbie – one on 14 July 1696, and the other on 7 August 1696, both in Crail. The earlier entry was probably the banns, and the later entry the actual marriage.
James and Agnes had the following children, all christened in Crail:
- Agnes Stein christened 20 April 1697
- James Stein christened 13 December 1698.
- Thomas Stein christened 7 January 1701
- James Steven christened 22 December 1702
- Helen Stein christened 12 April 1707
- George Steven christened 22 December 1711
The only entry for a James Steven (or name variants) was James Stephen christened 13 November 1669 at Monimail. His father was named James.
The following map shows the distance between Crail, Cameron, Logie, Kilmany and Monimail. While the progression from Crail to Kilmany seems logical (towards Dundee), it is a long way from Monimail to Crail.
As a result, I am not sure that this baptism is for the right James Steven, so I haven’t traced the family any further back at this stage.