Trove Tuesday

Trove Tuesday – Matthew Duncan

Last week, I shared information I had found for Margaret Nicol Gordon. For this week’s Trove Tuesday post, I am going to share some articles I found about her husband, Matthew Duncan.

This was the first article I found

Disgraceful proceedings
DISGRACEFUL PROCEEDINGS. (1877, May 21). Bendigo Advertiser (Vic. : 1855 – 1918), p. 3. Retrieved October 10, 2016, from


In an earlier post, I had mentioned that sometime between the birth of their last child, and her father’s death in 1888, Margaret had moved to East St Kilda, and was living with her father and brother.  This article seems to provide the reason.

A Violent Husband
A VIOLENT HUSBAND. (1888, October 3).The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 – 1957), p. 9. Retrieved October 10, 2016, from


Margaret appears to have returned to Long Gully by 1891, according to this article.

Rumored murder at Long Gully
THE BENDIGO ADVERTISER (1891, February 3). Bendigo Advertiser (Vic. : 1855 – 1918), p. 2. Retrieved October 10, 2016, from

The next article found was about Matthew shortly after his wife Margaret’s death.

Pensions Act Inquiry
PENSIONS ACT INQUIRY. (1903, October 22). The Age (Melbourne, Vic. : 1854 – 1954), p. 6. Retrieved October 10, 2016, from


At Fitzroy court yesterday, Mr. Keogh, P.M., made an investigation into the circumstances of relatives of an applicant for an old age pension, Matthew Duncan, aged 75.

George Matthew Duncan, son of the intending applicant, stated that he was married, but had no children. He objected to contribute anything towards his father’s support. He was a blacksmith, but had not done any work for four months, because the wages were not good enough. His mother had left property worth £2000 to be divided when the youngest – a girl of 20 – married. He was an executor. He did not know where his father was living, and did not feel called upon to take any interest in him, because his father had taken no interest in him. He (witness) had had to battle” since he was 14; he now had £100.

Another son, William, a labourer, said he would willingly keep his father if he could, but he had a family of 7, and averaged only three days’ work a week at 7 per day.

Donald Duncan, journeyman hair dresser, married, said he was prepared to give his father the use of a room. His limited wages would not permit more.

Mr. Keogh considered the offer a very fair one.

After two daughters had been examined, Mr. Keogh announced that when the old man’s pension was fixed, he would make George Duncan pay the full amount.

The next article is from 5 years later.

Unconscious in the street
UNCONSCIOUS IN THE STREET. (1908, July 3). Bendigo Advertiser (Vic. : 1855 – 1918), p. 2. Retrieved October 10, 2016, from



Mlebourne, 2nd July

This afternoon Constable Rogers found Mr. Matthew Duncan, 75 years of age, whose address is at present unknown, lying unconscious in Swanston street, near the Town Hall. He placed the man in a cab and drove him to the Melbourne Hospital. Dr. Wilson found that the patient suffered from cerebral haemorrhage. Mr. Duncan’s condition is considered serious.

He is an old identity of Long Gully, Bendigo, where he resided for many years.

Melbourne, latest

Mr. Duncan later on regained consciousness, and will be discharged from the institution this morning.

An article about this event was also in the Bendigo Independent

Records of suffering
RECORDS OF SUFFERING (1908, July 3). The Bendigo Independent (Vic. : 1891 – 1918), p. 3. Retrieved October 10, 2016, from


And the final article I am sharing is his obituary.

Matthew Duncan obituary
ABOUT PEOPLE (1915, March 18). The Bendigo Independent (Vic. : 1891 – 1918), p. 2. Retrieved October 10, 2016, from