The first ancestor with this surname in my tree was Ann Tosh.
My ancestral line is:
1 Lois Whimpey
2 Ivon Walter Whimpey (1923-2009)
3 Edith Jean Marr (1922-1990)
6 Wilfred Palmer Marr (1892-1955)
7 Edith Meriden Docwra (1904-1948)
12 Henry Palmer Marr (1859-1944)
13 Mary Reeves (1864-1951)
24 James Marr (1827-1899)
25 Martha Richardson (1827-1882)
48 John Marr (1790-1851)
49 Agnes Philp (1791-1864)
96 Peter Marr (1768-1831)
97 Ann Tosh (1765-1836)
Ann was born 21 January 1765, and christened 23 January 1765 at Dundee, Angus, Scotland. She was the daughter of Alexander Tosh and Anne Geekie.
Ann married Peter Marr on 13 March 1789 at Dundee. They had 2 children:
- Anne Marr (1789-?)
- John Marr (1790-1851)
Ann was buried 8 March 1836 at the Howff Burial Ground in Dundee. Her burial record shows she died from decay of nature age 72 years, and she was the wife of Peter Marr, shoemaker.
192 Alexander Tosh (1734-)
193 Anne Geekie
There is a possible baptism for Alexander on 3 February 1734 in Dundee. His parents were Alxr. Tosh and Jean Dauidsone.
I haven’t been able to find a marriage entry for Alexander and Anne, however, I have found that they had 4 children:
- Rachel Tosh christened 27 May 1753 at Dundee
- John Tosh christened 9 October 1757 at Dundee
- Alexander Tosh born 1 January 1763, christened 2 January 1763 at Dundee
- Anne Tosh born 21 January 1765, christened 23 January 1765 at Dundee
I haven’t yet found a burial record for Alexander.
384 Alexander Tosh
385 Jean Davidson
Alexander married Jean Davidsone on 9 February 1731 at Dundee.
These are the children found for Alexander and Jean:
- Alexander Tosh christened 3 February 1734 at Dundee
- Barbara Tosh christened 21 December 1736 at Dundee
- Mary Tosh christened 21 September 1738 at Dundee
- John Tosh christened 30 July 1741 at Dundee (mother listed as Jean Donaldson)
There are two possible baptism entries for this Alexander:
- Alexander Tosh was christened 10 April 1709 at Dundee. His parents were Tho. Tosh and Margaret Stewart. Thomas Tosh married Mart. Stewart 23 July 1706 in Dundee
- Alexander Tosh was christened 29 June 1707 at Dundee. His parents were Thomas Tosh and Margaret Gallaway. Thomas Tosh married Mart. Gallaway 30 July 1702 in Dundee
Prior to 1700 there were only 2 entries for baptisms with the surname Tosh in Dundee
- James Tosh christened 1 March 1685, parents Thomas Tosh and Janet Key
- Thomas Tosh christened 11 October 1677, parents Thomas Tosh and Janet Kay
Thomas Tosh married Janet Kay 15 November 1675 in Dundee.
There were two other marriages for the surname Tosh in Dundee between 1600 and 1710:
- Ja Tosh married Isob. Affleck 4 February 1707.
- Janet Tosh married Alexr. Watt 27 December 1683.
A number of family trees online shows that the Alexander Tosh who married Jean Davidsone was the son of Thomas Tosh and Margaret Gallaway. There is a comprehensive tree for the Tosh family at:
However, none of these family trees include the marriage of Thomas Tosh and Margaret Stewart.
The baptism records indicate that there were two separate couples:
- Alexander Tosh, parents Thomas Tosh/Margaret Gallaway christened 29 June 1707 in Dundee
- Alexander Tosh, parents Tho. Tosh/Margaret Stwart christened 10 April 1709 in Dundee
- Jean Tosh, parents Thomas Tosh/Margaret Stwart christened 11 June 1710 in Dundee
- Agnes Tosh, parents Thomas Tosh/Margaret Gallaway christened 17 October 1710 in Dundee
- David Tosh, parents Thomas Tosh/Margaret Gallaway christened 11 March 1712 in Dundee
Without more information about these two men named Thomas Tosh, it is difficult to know which one was the son of Thomas Tosh and Janet Kay.
The other Thomas may have been from Perth:
Thomas Toshock was christened 1 February 1677 at Perth. His parents were Androw Toshock and Christane Clerk.