The first person in my tree with this name was Louisa May Clyne
The ancestral line is
1 My ex-husband
2 Murray Irwin Willis (1931-1964)
3 Shirley Patricia Casey (1935-2013)
4 Thomas Arthur Willis (1900-1957)
5 Dorothea Isabella Sinclair Smith (1904-1979)
10 Thomas Smith (1873-1935)
11 Louisa May Clyne (1881-1949)
Louisa was born 24 May 1881 at Upper Maffra in the Colony of Victoria. She married Thomas Smith on 26 August 1903 at Newry, and they had 13 children:
- Dorothea Isabella Sinclair Smith (1904-1979)
- Louisa Jean Smith (1906-1973)
- Rachael Margaret Deering Smith (1907-1908)
- David James Smith (1907-1972)
- May Mansfield Smith (1908-1984)
- Thomas Clive Smith (1909-1977)
- Lyla Mary Smith (1912-1979)
- Winifred Kerr Smith (1913-1981)
- Jessie Clyne Smith (1916-2002)
- Ena Clair Smith (1918-1976)
- John William Smith (1920-1999)
- Ralph Henry Smith (1922-1995)
- Audrey Joy Smith (1925-1996)
Louisa died 12 March 1949 at a private hospital in Caulfield, Victoria, Australia. She was buried 15 March 1949 at the Swan Hill Cemetery.
22 David Clyne (1825-1896)
23 Isabella Kerr (1837-1896)
David was born 7 October 1825 and christened 18 October 1825 at Bower, Caithness, Scotland.
He migrated to Australia in 1852 on the “Bride”, and on 14 September 1860 he married Isabella Kerr at Lake Learmonth, in the Colony of Victoria. They had 9 children:
- David Clyne (1861-1931)
- Ralph Clyne (1863-1929)
- James Clyne (1865-1933)
- Margaret Clyne (1867-1910)
- Sinclair Steele Clyne (1869-1943)
- Frederick Clyne (1872-1877)
- Mary Anna Bella Clyne (1875-1877)
- Henry Clyne (1878-1942)
- Louisa May Clyne (1881-1949)
David died 6 July 1896 at Maffra Upper. He was buried 7 July 1896 at the Maffra Cemetery.
44 David Clyne (ca. 1787-1866)
45 Elizabeth Sinclair (1803-1890)
David Clyne was born about 1787. A baptism record for him has not yet been found.
David married Elizabeth Sinclair on 26 November 1824 at Bower, Caithness, Scotland. Elizabeth’s parents were James Sinclair and Elizabeth Meiklejohn. David and Elizabeth had the following children:
- David Clyne (1825-1896)
- James Clyne (1827-1896)
- Elizabeth Clyne (1829-1908)
- Catherine Clyne (1831-1910)
- Margaret Clyne (1833-1916)
- George Clyne (1836-1898)
- John Clyne (1838-bef 1841)
- Janet Clyne (1840-1917)
- Henry Clyne (1843-1921)
- Ann Clyne (1846-1929)
In Scotland, the 2nd son is usually named after the wife’s father, and the eldest daughter after her mother, the eldest son after the husband’s father and the second daughter after his mother.
Based on this, David’s parents would have been David and Catherine.
The Parish registers for Bower show the following baptisms with parents David/Dond. Clyne/Cline and Cath/Katharine Sinclair:
- William 16 Oct 1778
- John 18 Jul 1780
- Alexander 11 Apr 1782
- Margaret 11 Apr 1784
- – 14 Sep 1785
- Donald 6 Jun 1790
- Benjamin 4 Jan 1793
- Henry 27 Sep 1795
David’s baptism may be the one on 14 September 1785, or his baptism may fall in the gap between the baptism in 1785, and Donald’s in 1790.
I haven’t been able to find a marriage entry for David and Catherine
There was a baptism for a David Clyne on 28 April 1751 at Bower. His father’s name was William. These were the other baptisms I found that would appear to be this David’s family
- Allexr Clyne, father William, baptism 29 Jun 1745 at Bower
- George Clyn, father Willm, baptism 12 Jan 1748 at Bower
- Margaret Clyn, father William, baptism 19 Apr 1755 at Bower
I wasn’t able to find a baptism for a William Clyn/Clyne/Cline between 1700 and 1730 anywhere in Scotland.
Based on the fact that his eldest son’s name was Allexr, I had a look for any baptisms for the surname Clyne/Clyn/Cline and found:
- Christian Clyne, father Allexr., baptism 4 Jan 1730 at Olrig
- Margrat Clyne, father Allexr., baptism 18 Feb 1727 at Olrig
This may have been William’s family.
I then decided to look for all the entries for the surname up to 1730. These were all the Clyn* entries from 1700 to 1730
And all the Cline entries
There was only one entry for the variation Clein
Surname Forename Parents Age Date Parish number Ref Parish
Clein Helen Donald Clein 0 03/07/1720 043/ 10 70 Wick
And these are all the entries for Cl*n* from 1538 to 1700
There were no results for Cline or Clein.
The article at https://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Clyne states that the surname came from the parish of Clyne in the County of Sutherland.