The ancestor in my tree with this surname is Catherine Jane Leach. The link to my ex-husband is:
I have very little information about Catherine. She was born about 1790. I have not been able to find a baptism record for her, so I don’t know who her parents were. As a result, I haven’t been able to take this line any further back.
She married Andrew Marshall about 1816. Although I have found a marriage record for Andrew’s first marriage to Judith Williams, I haven’t found a marriage record for Andrew and Catherine. I also have conflicting information about Andrew and Catherine’s children.
In 1991 I was sent a family history which listed their children as:
- John b 2 Dec 1817 in OldLeighlin, died 19 Sep 1883 in Chicago, Illinois, USA
- Deborah b 29 Jun 1819 in OldLeighlin, Carlow, Ireland
- Sarah b 20 Feb 1821 in OldLeighlin, married William Burroughs
- Matthew b 29 Dec 1822 in OldLeighlin. Died Jan 1900 in Kangaroo Flat, Victoria, Australia
- Andrew b 20 Oct 1823 in OldLeighlin, died 9 Apr 1892 in Dublin, Ireland
- George b 22 Feb 1826 in OldLeighlin died 9 Nov 1902 in Vars, Ontario, Canada
- Joseph b 20 Dec 1826 in OldLeighlin, died 1828 in OldLeighlin
- Henry b 16 Aug 1830 in OldLeighlin
- Anne b 3 May 1832 in OldLeighlin d 10 Apr 1890 in Woodvale, Victoria, Australia
- Richard b 16 Apr 1834 in OldLeighlin, died 1886 in Chicago
- Jane b 26 Dec 1835 in LeighlinBridge, died 17 Nov 1906 in Eaglehawk
- Twin boy b 26 Dec 1835 in OldLeighlin died 26 Dec 1835 in OldLeighlin
- Thomas b. 8 May 1837 in OldLeighlin, d 9 Nov 1915 in Ireland
A family tree at Rootsweb WorldConnect (http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=:a23238&id=I000033) lists their children as:
- John b 2 Dec 1817
- Deborah b 29 Jun 1819
- Sarah b 28 Feb 1821
- Matthew b 29 Dec 1822
- George b 22 Feb 1826
- Joseph b 20 Dec 1826 This tree shows that Joseph married Bridget Mulquiny in Australia
- Andrew b 20 Oct 1828
- Henry C b 16 Aug 1830
- Anne b 3 May 1832
- Richard b 16 Apr 1834
- Jane b 26 Dec 1835
- Twin b 26 Dec 1835
- Susannah b 30 Mar 1836
- Thomas James b 8 May 1839
Although most of the information corresponds with the original tree I was sent, there are slight differences in the years of birth, and also the addition of the daughter Susannah, and that Joseph didn’t die young, but married Bridget Mulquiny.
I have the marriage certificates for Joseph Marshall and Bridget Mulquiny, and Susannah Marshall and Jeremiah Handy Borden. Both of these certificates list Joseph and Susannah’s parents as Joseph Marshall and Susannah Armstrong. There is also the fact that the birth date for Susannah is only 3 months after the twins, Jane and her twin brother, were born. Joseph’s birth date is also only 10 months after George was born. It therefore seems more likely that these two children were the children of Andrew’s brother Joseph.
The second birth date for Andrew of 20 October 1828 fits in better with the other children – the date in the original tree was in 1823, and was only 10 months after Matthew was born. However, Andrew’s death certificate shows he died in 9 April 1892 at the age of 68 years, which indicates a birth year of 1824, which corresponds with the 20 October 1823 date.
Unfortunately, baptism records for the Church of Ireland for OldLeighlin are not available, so I am unable to confirm the birth dates for any of the children.
I don’t have a death date for Catherine yet, although she was still alive in 1853 and living at Bagenalstown, according to her daughter Anne’s immigration record.
Surname Cloud created using WordClouds.com