The first ancestor with this surname was my ex-husband’s maternal grandmother, Lilah Adela Mulder.
Lilah Adela Mulder was born 18 October 1903 at the family home at 562 Chapel Street, South Yarra, Victoria, Australia. She was the daughter Patrick John Theodore Mulder (also known as John Theodore Mulder) and Elizabeth Theisinger.
Lilah married Albert George Casey on 26 November 1921 at All Saints’ Church, East St Kilda, Victoria, Australia. They had 5 children:
- Albert George Casey (1922-1995)
- Ronald John Casey (1927-2001)
- Leonard Keith Casey (1928-1992)
- Kenneth Casey (1931-2008)
- Shirley Patricia Casey (1935-2013)
Lilah died 26 March 1987 at Inglewood Hospital, Inglewood, Victoria, Australia, and was buried 28 March 1987 at the Inglewood Cemetery.
Patrick John Theodore Mulder (also known as John Theodore Mulder) was born 1 June 1861 at Ballaarat East, in the Colony of Victoria. He was the son of Thomas Mulder and Louisa House.
John married Elizabeth Theisinger on 22 September 1883 at Portland in the Colony of Victoria, and they had 13 children:
- Ernest William Mulder (1884-?)
- Florence Catherine Mulder (1886-1886)
- Ruby Evelyn Mulder (1887-1887)
- John Clarence Mulder (1887-1888)
- Stella Beatrice Mulder (1889-1982)
- John Harold Mulder (1891-1893)
- Lucy Viola Mulder (1893-1894)
- Gladys Elizabeth Mulder (1894-1895)
- Norman Victor Mulder (1896-1978)
- John Eric Mulder (1898-1977)
- Albert Hector Mulder (1901-1965)
- Lilah Adela Mulder (1903-1987)
- Alma Doris Mulder (1906-1994)
John died 5 September 1940 at Epworth Private Hospital, Richmond, Victoria, Australia, and was buried 7 September 1940 at Brighton Cemetery, Brighton, Victoria, Australia.
Jacob Thomas Alexander Mulder (known as Thomas Mulder) was born about 1818 in Amsterdam, Netherlands. He was the son of Jan Derk Mulder and Mary Ann Jones.
Thomas married Maria Clarkson on 27 Jul 1841 at St Anne’s Limehouse, London, England. Thomas abandoned Maria, and came to Australia with Louisa House, and they lived together in Australia as husband and wife. Thomas and Louisa had 6 children:
- Louisa Mulder (1852-1925)
- Mary Ann Mulder (1855-1864)
- Georgina Mulder (1856-1895)
- Thomas Alexander Mulder (1857-1922)
- Margaret Mulder (1859-1859)
- Patrick John Theodore Mulder (1861-1940)
Thomas died 24 December 1870 at Ballarat East, and was buried 27 December 1870 at the Ballarat Cemetery.
Jan Derk Mulder (or John Dirk Mulder) There is a baptism record for Jan Derk Mulder on 3 August 1788 at Amsterdam, Netherlands. He was the son of Jacob Mulder and Catharina Elisabet Ekink.
He married Mary Ann Jones on 18 May 1812 at St Dunstan, Stepney, London, England. They had 4 children:
- John Theodore Mulder (1813-1813) (born Feb 1813, buried 19 May 1813)
- John Theodore Mulder (1813-1896) (born about 1813, christened 17 April 1814)
- William Joseph Mulder (1815-1897)
- Jacob Thomas Alexander Mulder (1818-1870)
John died between 1818 and 1824, as his wife Mary Ann Jones remarried in 1824. The death certificate for his son William Joseph Mulder lists John’s occupation as sea captain. According to family he “was either killed by pirates or drowned off the Canary Islands.” I haven’t been able to find a record to confirm this yet.
There is an index entry on FamilySearch for a marriage of Jacob Mulder to Catharina Elisabeth Ekink on 26 October 1873 at Amsterdam. This might be a transcription error, and the date may be meant to be 1783. Until I can find an original marriage entry, I can’t be sure that this is entry is for Jan Dirk Mulder’s parents.
I have found the following children of Jacob Mulder and Catharina Elisabeth Ekink
- Jakob Mulder baptism 9 Mar 1785 at Nieuwe Kerk, Amsterdam. Jacob married Everdina Sophia Florijn on 4 March 1820 at Ouderkerk aan de Amstel. He died 7 Dec 1829 at Ouderkerk aan de Amstel.
- Anna Catharine Dorothea Mulder baptism 30 April 1786 at Nieuwe Kerk, Amsterdam
- Jan Derk Mulder baptism 3 Aug 1788 at Nieuwe Kerk, Amsterdam
- Johanna Elisabet Mulder baptism 15 Jan 1790 at Westerkerk, Amsterdam
- Theodora Jacobina Mulder baptism 16 Dec 1791 at Nieuwezijds Kapel, Amsterdam
- Johannes Hermanus Mulder baptism 6 Dec 1793 at Westerkerk, Amsterdam
- Johanna Elisabeth Mulder baptism 1 Mar 1795 at Westerkerk, Amsterdam
- Harmanus Johannes Mulder baptism 19 Oct 1796 at Nieuwe Kerk, Amsterdam
- Catharina Hermina Mulder baptism 30 Aug 1801 at Nieuewe Kerk, Amsterdam
I haven’t been able to find a baptism or burial entry for Jacob yet, so I haven’t been able to take this line back any further at this stage.
Surname Cloud created using WordClouds.com