The ancestor with this surname in my tree is Eliza Patchett (or Patchet/Paget). The relationship to my ex-husband is:
Eliza Patchett was born about 1810, possibly in Nottinghamshire, England.
She married John Hooton on 16 January 1838 at Radford, Nottinghamshire, England. They had 8 children:
- Henry Hooton (1838-1920)
- Emily Hooton (1841-1923)
- Eliza Hooton (1842-1906)
- Edmund Hooton (1845-1845)
- John Hooton (1846-1886)
- Mary Ann Hooton (1849-1931)
- Selina Hooton (1851-1933)
- Charles Hooton (1854-1934)
Eliza died 22 Sep 1888 at St Kilda, Victoria, Australia, and was buried at the Brighton Cemetery.
Eliza’s death entry lists her parents as Thomas Patchett and Mary.
There are two possible baptisms on FamilySearch:
- Elizabeth Patchett birth 6 January 1810, christened 31 January 1810 at Saint Mary-St Marylebone Road, St Marylebone, London, England, parents Thomas and Mary
- Elizabeth Patchett christened 23 May 1813 at Edenham, Lincoln, England, parents Thomas and Mary
The following are the other children with parents Thomas and Mary at Edenham
- Sarah christened 9 February 1817
- John christened 23 July 1815
- Mary christened 17 February 1818
- Robert christened 17 July 1814
There is a family on the 1841 census at Dowsby Lincolnshire, England. Dowsby is 9.63 km from Edenham
- Thomas age 65
- Mary age 55
- Sarah age 20
- John age 25
- Betsy age 20
Since our Eliza was already married and in Australia by 1841, the Elizabeth christened in 1813 at Edenham does not appear to be our Eliza.
It seems unlikely that the Elizabeth who was christened in London is either.
I have therefore not been able to trace this line back any further at this stage.
Surname Cloud created using http://www.wordclouds.com/