I forgot to do this post on Monday, so it is late this week. Last week I wrote about my great grandfather Joseph Whimpey. This week I am writing about his wife, Sarah Jane Sharp.
Sarah Jane Sharp was born 3 January 1853 at Albion Yard, Kirkgate, Wakefield, Yorkshire, England. She was christened 27 January 1856 at All Saints, Wakefield, Yorkshire, England. She was the daughter of Henry Sharp and Jane Elizabeth Oldroyd
Sarah appeared with her parents and sister Elizabeth in the household of her uncle, Rowland Tidd at Cottage Garden, Newton Heath, Lancashire, England in the 1861 census. Also in the household was Rowland’s wife Rachel (Rachel was Jane Oldroyd’s sister), and their three children, Elizabeth, Joshua and Eliza.
The two families emigrated together to Australia on the “Marco Polo”, which arrived in Melbourne on 16 November 1863. Rowland Tidd and Henry Sharp bought adjoining blocks of land at Woodstock-on-Loddon.
Sarah married Joseph Whimpey on 27 March 1872 at Laanecoorie, and they had 12 children:
- Jane Elizabeth Whimpey (1873-1957)
- Alfred Henry Whimpey (1874-1933)
- Joseph Whimpey (1876-1954)
- Walter Whimpey (1879-1969)
- John Ernest Whimpey (1884-1960)
- Emily Whimpey (1887-1897)
- Ethelind Hannah Whimpey (1889-1969)
- William Norman Whimpey (1890-1891)
- Albert Roy Whimpey (1892-1965)
- William Claude Whimpey (1895-1917)
- Arthur Edgar Whimpey (1896-1965)
- Herbert Whimpey (1897-1974)
Sarah died on 28 Jun 1906 at Tarnagulla. She was buried 1 July 1906 at the Tarnagulla Cemetery.
Sources of information can be found on Sarah’s profile on my website.