Each week on Randy Seaver’s Genea-musings blog he has a post for Saturday night Genealogy fun. Because of the time difference, I have called my series Sunday Afternoon Genealogy Fun. This week the mission was:
1) What day of the week was your Grandmother born (either one)? Tell us how you found out.
2) What event was a headline in the newspapers on that date? Tell us how you found out.
3) What has happened in recorded history on your Grandmother’s birth date (day and month)? Tell us how you found out, and list five events.
4) What famous people have been born on your Grandmother’s birth date? Tell us how you found out, and list five of them.
5) Put your responses in your own blog post, in a comment on this blog post, or in a status or comment on Facebook.
1) I chose my paternal grandmother, Ivy May Harley, who was born 6 September 1890 in South Melbourne, Victoria, to Alexander Alexander and Henrietta Louisa (Russell) Harley. 6 September 1890 was a Saturday.
Method: I have the birth certificate for my grandmother. I used Trove, and then selected Digitised Newspapers and More, then Browse by Date, selected the year 1890, month September, and found from the calendar that the 6 September 1890 was a Saturday.
2) Some of the headlines on 6 September 1890 in the Melbourne newspaper “The Age” were:
- Extraordinary Double Murder
- A Great American Lottery
- The Story of an American Labor Struggle
- Persecution of the Jews in Russia. A Million Persons to be expelled from their homes
- Robbery at St Kilda
- Great Fire in Salonica
Method: Since I already had the calendar up in Trove, I selected the 6 September, and a list of available newspapers came up. I selected The Age, since it was (and still is) one of the main newspapers for Melbourne.
3) Historical events that have occurred on 6 September:
- 3114 BC Date Maya/Mesoamerican Long Count Calendar starts dating from (as corresponds to the Julian Calendar).
- 1522 Ferdinand Magellan’s Spanish expedition aboard the Vitoria returns to Spain without their captain. First to circumnavigate the earth.
- 1620 The Mayflower departs Plymouth, England with 102 Pilgrims and about 30 crew for the New World
- 1909 Word received that American explorer Robert Peary had discovered the North Pole, 5 months earlier
- 1916 1st true supermarket, the “Piggly Wiggly” is opened by Clarence Saunders in Memphis, Tennessee
Method: Use https://www.onthisday.com/events/ to find events.
4) Famous persons born on 6 September:
- 1757 Marquis de Lafayette, American patriot and French revolutionary, born in Chavaniac, France (d. 1834)
- 1888 Joseph P Kennedy, diplomat, father of JFK, RFK & Teddy, born in Boston, Massachusetts
- 1912 Vincent DiMaggio, American baseball player (Giants, Phils, Reds, Braves), born in Martinez, California (d. 1986)
- 1943 Roger Waters [George Roger Waters], English rock bassist and vocalist (Pink Floyd-Brick in the Wall), born in Cambridge, England
- 1961 Simon Reeve, Australian journalist
Method: Use https://www.onthisday.com/birthdays/