In this post, I am sharing the free websites I am currently using. So far, these websites are for Australia, New Zealand, England, Wales and Scotland. I am also going to copy this post to my Resources section, and update it as I expand my research into other countries.
Births Deaths and Marriages
- Births Deaths and Marriages Victoria
- NSW Family History Search
- Queensland Family History Search
- Genealogy SA This index also includes indexes from cemeteries and newspapers
- Western Australia Online Indexes
- Australian Capital Territory – the Historic death and Historic Marriage indexes are available as an XLS or PDF file.
- Tasmanian Names Index. This index also includes other records such as Wills and Convicts
- New Zealand Births Deaths and Marriages Historical Records
- England and Wales – I use FreeBMD for marriages, and the GRO Online Indexes for births and deaths. I also use FreeReg for parish registers.
- ScotlandsPeople. The index is free, but you need to purchase credits to view the original records.
- FamilySearch As well as births, baptisms, marriages, deaths & burials, I also use FamilySearch to find other records such as cemetery, census and immigration records.
- The Ryerson Index
- Herald Sun Tributes From this search form you can search other newspapers from around Australia. Some of the newspapers include Adelaide, Brisbane, Geelong, Sydney, and Tasmania
- The Age Tributes. Most of the tributes are only for recent notices.
- com This website includes newspapers from around the world including Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and the United States. I generally find these notices when I use Google at the end of my checklist to search for any additional information for a person.
- Google News Archive Search The two newspapers from Australia on this site are The Age (Melbourne), and The Sydney Morning Herald.
There are so many websites with cemetery records, that I have decided to set up a separate post to share the other websites I have used so far.
- National Archives of Australia. I use this mostly to find World War 1 and World War 2 service records, but it has many other types of records. Some of these include immigration and naturalization records.
- DVA’s Nominal Rolls
- Australian War Memorial
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission
Probate, inquests, immigration etc