On this page, I am sharing the free websites I am currently using. So far, these websites are for Australia, New Zealand, England, Wales, Scotland and Denmark, and I have started adding a few from Utah, United States. Another great resource for finding free websites in the United States and Canada, is The Ancestor Hunt. I will update this list as I come across other websites.
Births Deaths and Marriages
- Births Deaths and Marriages Victoria
- NSW Family History Search
- Queensland Family History Search
- Genealogy SA This index also includes indexes from cemeteries and newspapers. You need to subscribe to access full details from the indexes.
- Western Australia Online Indexes
- Australian Capital Territory – the Historic death and Historic Marriage indexes are available as an XLS or PDF file.
- Tasmanian Names Index. This index also includes other records such as Wills and Convicts
- New Zealand Births Deaths and Marriages Historical Records
- England and Wales – I use FreeBMD for marriages, and the GRO Online Indexes for births and deaths. I also use FreeReg for parish registers.
- ScotlandsPeople. The index is free, but you need to purchase credits to view the original records.
- FamilySearch As well as births, baptisms, marriages, deaths & burials, I also use FamilySearch to find other records such as cemetery, census and immigration records.
- Irish Genealogy. Civil and Church Records from Ireland
- Manitoba, Canada.
- Western States Marriage Index (United States)
- United States – West Virginia
- United States – Minnesota – Births & Deaths
- United States – Minnesota – Marriages
- Danish National Archives
- The Ryerson Index
- Herald Sun Tributes From this search form you can search other newspapers from around Australia. Some of the newspapers include Adelaide, Brisbane, Geelong, Sydney, and Tasmania
- The Age Tributes. Most of the tributes are only for recent notices.
- Legacy.com This website includes newspapers from around the world including Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and the United States. I generally find these notices when I use Google at the end of my checklist to search for any additional information for a person.
- Google News Archive Search The newspapers from Australia I have found on this site are The Age (Melbourne), The Sydney Morning Herald, The Sydney Mail and Sydney Herald. There may be other newspapers from Australia, but I haven’t been able to find any
- Utah Digital Newspapers
There are so many websites with cemetery records, that I have set up a separate page Cemetery Records to share the other websites I have used so far. Last year, I also set up a section on my family tree website Australian Cemeteries.
- National Archives of Australia. I use this mostly to find World War 1 and World War 2 service records, but it has many other types of records. Some of these include immigration and naturalization records.
- DVA’s Nominal Rolls
- Australian War Memorial
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Libraries and Archives Canada
Probate, inquests, immigration etc
- Public Record Office Victoria
- NSW State Archives & Records
- Queensland State Archives
- Archives New Zealand
- National Archives of Ireland
- Danish Family Search. Mainly for census records in Denmark, although these are also now available on FamilySearch.
- Utah Division of State History
- Libraries and Archives Canada